Repairing Comprehension Reading Strategy Lesson Plan UPDATE Nov 19, 2022
Teach students HOW to monitor understanding and clarify thinking when reading.
There’s more to figuring out what’s going on in a text than just simply re-reading.
Use this lesson to give students a process to help them monitor their understanding as they read. Help students…
- clarify their thinking by making a point,
- use evidence from the text, and then
- explain how that evidence proves their point.
How to Monitor and Repair Comprehension when Reading – 4 PRO TIPS
- Read a paragraph and SAY SOMETHING: Ask a question, Make a connection, Make an inference, Form an opinion
- Does your SAY SOMETHING make sense with stuff you know about the world? If not, re-read the paragraph. Use PEEP to clarify your thinking.
- Does your SAY SOMETHING make sense with stuff you already read in this text? If not, re-read the paragraph. Re-read the other stuff you already read.Use PEEP to figure out why it doesn’t make sense.
- PEEP: Point, Evidence, Explanation, Point
The slideshow lesson is comprehensive, easy to use and includes everything you need for :
- DISTANCE LEARNING or 1:1 LEARNING in Google Classroom
- FACE to FACE LEARNING in your real classroom
In this package, you get:
- the slideshow lesson to walk your students through 4 pro tips to using the Repairing Comprehension strategy and an example of how to use this strategy..
- a generic Repairing Comprehension handout package that can be used with any text. This helps students ask questions before, during, and after reading.
- a metacognition handout/reflection questions to help students reflect on the strategy
- a rubric to assess ideas generated during reading, as well as ideas generated during the metacognition reflection.
BONUS EVALUATING READING STRATEGY LESSON VIDEO:
I’ve recorded the slideshow as a FREE YOUTUBE VIDEO so it’s easier to teach with DISTANCE LEARNING. https://youtu.be/gEsgILYL_lI
IMPORTANT NOTE: This product DOES NOT include a text for students to read!
The package only includes the Evaluating reading strategy lesson plan, slideshow and handouts.
It is intended for teachers to use with a novel or text that they are studying in class.
Reading comprehension strategies like REPAIRING COMPREHENSION help students engage with the text and gain a deeper understanding than just passively reading.
This product is also included in our Reading for Meaning Comprehension Strategies bundle.
Watch the FREE Reading Comprehension Video.